Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani on Thursday laid out his plans to unveil a 4G mobile network in the country, including making all domestic voice calls and roaming free, while asserting that data would be priced well below its competitors. As a part of this, Reliance Jio introduced a free preview offer for all, under which anyone can get a Jio SIM from Monday and usage will be completely free and unlimited until December 31. Which is true, but there’s a catch – the unlimited offer actually has a 4GB limit on it, that’s revealed in the company’s plans details.
Aims for 100 million customers:
The company would seek to have 100 million customers in the shortest possible time as it builds out its 4G network across the country. Mr. Ambani announced a ‘free welcome offer’ for Jio customers from September 5 tol December 31. Reliance Jio will offer users data services free for four months, after which it will offer 10 tariff plans starting at Rs 19 a day for occasional users, Rs 149 a month for low data users and Rs 4,999 a month for heavy data users.
The company also announced “super-affordable” handsets under the LYF brand, starting Rs 2999.
1. Free voice calls
2. Zero roaming charges
3. 45 plans at Rs.50 per GB
4. Students to get 25% more data
5. Free data services for the first four months after the launch
6. 10 tariff plans starting at Rs 19 a day for occasional users
7. Rs 149 a month for light users, Rs 4,999 a month for heavy data users
8. To achieve 100 million customers in record time
9. “Super-affordable” handsets under the LYF brand starting at Rs 2999.
10. To be formally launched on September 5
Apart from the data rates, Ambani also announced that the full suite of Jio apps – for streaming movies, music, and live television – will be completely free for all users until December 2017.